Re: Garage/Shop Sizes

To: lmairs@cox.rr.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage/Shop Sizes
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:28:39 EST
In a message dated 11/1/01 7:05:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lmairs@cox.rr.com writes:

> I just bought a retirement house near Romney, WV.  Despite my best efforts
> there  is no garage or shop on the property; however, at least this time
> there is plenty of room to build one!  I figured 20x28 for two cars, and
> then 14x28 for a dedicated wood shop.  I'd also like a separate room for my
> amateur radio hobby, say 10x12.
> I'd like some comments on how best to go about this project.  It must be
> usable year round, so insulation will be necessary for the non-garage
> sectors.  Can anyone recommend building kits (84lumber), pre-fab suppliers,
> etc.?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

As I said before, bigger is better.  If you have the resources to build it
right, make it as big as possible, with plenty of head room.  You may want to
add a lift in the garage.  A loft for storage is also a good idea.

Insulate the entire building, not just the shop.  Even if you don't heat the
garage, insulation will hold in some heat and make the garage quieter.

Make sure you have pleny of power and plenty of light.  Several listers on
other lists have suggested radiant heat in the slab.  It sounds like a great
idea to me.  Keep your toes warm, and if you need to work under a car....pure
heaven.

I am going to remove the single door between my garage and shop, cut the
opening to 70" or so, and use two 36" doors on tracks so I can have a huge
opening if I need it.  Kinda like barn doors.  I hope I can find the
hardware.  The doors are cheap enough.

Good luck with your project.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward