Re: Shop-talk archives?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <Heerschap@kns.com>
Subject: Re: Shop-talk archives?
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:20:06 -0500
"Chris Heerschap" <Heerschap@kns.com> wrote:

> <...>
> information on the Harbor-Freight 12-ton press... basically, if it's
> worth getting.  My primary uses for it is suspension bushings and wheel
> bearings.  <...>

I haven't looked at them recently, but if they're the same as the one
I bought about 15 years ago for $100 bucks, they're okay.  Sometimes
it takes a while to "set up" for a press, but it usually gets the job done.

It you were going to use it for professional use, you might need a better
press, but for occasional use, they are great for the price.

Get one with as wide a gap in the "bed" as you can if you need to do
things like pressing bearings on transmission shafts, etc..  Then collect
metal channels, tubes, etc. because in addition to the press plates (the
press should come with them), extra "chunks" of metal to support and
press on things become invaluable.  And you can always use sockets
for pressing on bushings etc.  And again for transmission use, the bearing
separators that Harbor Freight sells are very useful.

Another thing to look for is stroke on the pump.  I find that I've had to
adjust the position of the bed half way thru a "press" because I just didn't
have enough stroke - again, it's doable, just a pain.

By the way, you will find other things to do with the press besides just
bearings and bushings.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA
72 Lotus Elan Sprint