Plumbing question #1

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Plumbing question #1
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:37:38 EST
My son and I started putting in the water pipes to the new kitchen sink in my
new house.  I am NOT a plumber!  My son has sweated a few pipes, but he ain't
the greatest either.  I can't imagine this is like rocket science, so I am
going to ask a stupid question here, and see if I can get it to work.

I picked up new ball valve shut offs for under the sink.  Cast brass fittings
for 1/2" pipe.  We can't get the solder to flow into the joints.  Can anyone
'splain what we may be doing wrong?  I know how to do electronic soldering,
and it looks to me like it isn't getting hot enough, although the solder
melts easily on the metal.  Cleaned all the fittings and used plenty of flux.

Is solder the correct stuff for brass valves to copper pipe?

TIA,

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget