Pouring a small concrete slab

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Pouring a small concrete slab
From: Noemi Berry Doudna <noemi@nebcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:41:08 -0800
We need to put a small (4'x6'?) slab into our small dirt-floor
basement (12'x12'), on which to place a boiler, indirect water
storage tank, and various other underfloor radiant heat (yee-haw!)
accoutrements.  So this doesn't have to be a heavy-duty
rebar-reinforced thing or anything.

The most experience my husband and I have with concrete is
making handprints in it.   What are the various approaches/methods
for this?  Do we just bop down to Home Depot and get some
"premix" (??) and pour it into a form we make with 2x4s?
What tools do we need to mix, level and handle the concrete?

My husband's reading about it and says we should at least put
some wire mesh in to reinforce and hold it together when it cracks.

So much for a relaxed New Year's vacation.

help, and thanks,
noemi
--
Noemi Berry Doudna