Re: welding question

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welding question
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:59:31 -0400
dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu wrote:

>I need to weld a 1/2" square rod to a plate, rotated by 45 deg from the flat
>side.  In other words, by the edge.  I need to be pretty accurate about it,
>and I'm not quite sure how to clamp it in place, and how to make sure it's
>square.  What I've considered doing is grinding or gouging a groove in the
>plate, and perhaps grinding the corner a bit so it's not quite so pointy.
>I'm concerned that I'll lose more height than I'd really like doing it that
>way.  Any other suggestions?
>
>Thanks

First disclaimer: I'm not a welder, but would like to be, so apply real
world experience to this theoritical idea.

Second disclaimer: I am assuming the cross section of the end product is
a diamond with a horizontal foot.

Now the theortical idea: Score the base plate enough so it catches the
corner of the bar stock.  Take a scrap piece of stock and file/grind a
45 degree notch across.  Place the bar stock on the score line and the
scrap piece across it to form a T.  A clamp on either side of the scrap
clamping block would allow you to adjust the angle to tolerance.

Peter Thomas