Re: welding question

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: welding question
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:09:52 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

> dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu wrote:
>
> >I need to weld a 1/2" square rod to a plate, rotated by 45 deg from the flat
> >side.  In other words, by the edge.  I need to be pretty accurate about it,
> >and I'm not quite sure how to clamp it in place, and how to make sure it's
> >square.  What I've considered doing is grinding or gouging a groove in the
> >plate, and perhaps grinding the corner a bit so it's not quite so pointy.
> >I'm concerned that I'll lose more height than I'd really like doing it that
> >way.  Any other suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> First disclaimer: I'm not a welder, but would like to be, so apply real
> world experience to this theoritical idea.
>
> Second disclaimer: I am assuming the cross section of the end product is
> a diamond with a horizontal foot.
>
> Now the theortical idea: Score the base plate enough so it catches the
> corner of the bar stock.  Take a scrap piece of stock and file/grind a
> 45 degree notch across.  Place the bar stock on the score line and the
> scrap piece across it to form a T.  A clamp on either side of the scrap
> clamping block would allow you to adjust the angle to tolerance.

What I ended up doing is grinding the edge that would be on the plate a little
bit so it was just flat enough to stand on that edge.  I than fabricated a set
of tube scrap with 45 deg cut off ends.  I put them in place on the plate so
the cut ends were where I wanted the bar to be, and tacked them in place.
I used five, three on one side, two on the other, for a piec e of bar about
a foot long.  I  tacked the bar in place, checked it was square, put some
further tacks on it, checked again, gouged off the clamping pieces, checked
for squareness again, and then finished welding.  No problems with the bar
warping, but I was quite careful not to put a lot of heat inot the stock at
one time.

David