Re: blowing up gophers

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: blowing up gophers
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:39:23 -0700
On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 03:26:52PM -0600, Bullwinkle wrote:

> I've had good luck gassing them.
>
> Ever read the label of a bleach bottle?
>
> "Do not use or mix with other household chemicals such as toilet bowl
> cleaners, rust removers, acids or products containing ammonia.  This
> will release hazardous gases."  Chlorine gas I believe.

You know, I thought about this the other day.  I was sort of concerned
about gassing myself.

I was thinking that a two-tube probe, sort of like a giant
version of those 2-part epoxy squeeze tubes, would be ideal.
The products only mix at the end of the two tubes.
Maybe a couple pieces of clear poly tubing, taped together, with
funnels on the ends...

> If these are pocket gophers, open up the mound looking for the main
> tunnel.  Or use a wire probe around the mound feeling for the tunnels.
> After opening up the tunnel, pour in some "Draino" crystals. (I believe
> Red Devil lye is the same material.)  Then pour bleach onto the crystals
> and quickly cover the opening with cardboard and dirt to seal the
> tunnel.

Yea, that's probably safer, if not as satisfying as (boom!) Rodex.

How much draino and bleach per hole?

Eric