Re: CBs and Lawn Mowers.. & high income N VA

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CBs and Lawn Mowers.. & high income N VA
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:13:05 -0400
Lyn Fatt, Brian A wrote:

> I've tried to get my mower blade sharpened here in
> Fl, for less than the cost of a new one, but sadly,
> it costs more to sharpen it. I still have two sitting
> in the garage waiting until I get around to sharpening
> and balancing them myself, or finding someone who
> does it cheaper.
I have never paid to have blades sharpened. I do it myself on a bench grinder
that has paid for itself many times over. You can do it free hand just fine and
then balance them on an inexpensive tapered balencer.

> Now I'm trying to find a fuel primer bulb on a 9 year
> old mower. Neither the Sears nor the Briggs 'n Stratton
> website can find the model number of such an old mower.
That is one reason why experienced users steer clear of Sears outdoor
equipment.
I never heard of a B&S engine that used a primer bulb - that sounds like a
Tecumseh or Lawn Boy. Try a Google search...

> It's no wonder people throw things away. Sometimes it
> just isn't worth the effort, but sometimes the effort
> to fix something is so satisfying. I took the carb apart
> to figure out what was causing the engine to start but
> then stop after a few seconds. I found a minute spec of
> something that was causing a problem. The thing was
> smaller than a pin head. Mower runs better now.  Maybe it
> was piece of the primer bulb?
That is all it takes sometimes to stop an engine. Make sure that any fuel
filters/screens are in place and clean. The same issues you mention are why
many
folks work on antique machinery - at least we can fix them if we can find the
parts.

> I wish Heathkit was still around...Anyone remember them?
I sure do. I have a working ignition analyzer scope that I still use with my
antique tractors and a dual trace scope that I wish I could get to work, as
well
as half a dozen old instruments up in the attic of the barn.

Those old electronic kits became uneconomical to produce - integrated circuits
and other advances in component design reduced the assembly of sytems to no
more
than putting the circuit board into a case and plugging it in. And the expense
of customer service became a killer too. I enjoyed building those old kits by
the dozen, but unfortunately, there is not turning back the clock on that kind
of thing. Do you remember the ads in the back of Popular Mechanix for Struck
buldozer kits? I bought and built one and enjoyed it, but today Struck supplies
only finished machines. They can manufacture a finished machine cheaper than
producing a kit!

Mike

> Brian
> brian.lynfatt@eds.com

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.
-George Gordon Byron, poet (1788-1824)