Re: CBs and Lawn Mowers.. & high income N VA

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: CBs and Lawn Mowers.. & high income N VA
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:45:52 -0700
On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 03:29:28PM -0400, Scott Hall wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2002, Eric Murray wrote:
>
> > I use my el-cheapo bench grinder to do most of the sharpening, and a couple
> > good files to finish it off.  Balancing only takes a few seconds each.
>
> I'd like to do this myself--how exactly do you balance them?  come to
> think of it, how do you sharpen them as well?  I always figured I'd just
> take a dremel to them, but if there's more...  how 'bout a primer?

I take them off the mower.

Mine have a shape that looks like this (when viewed as though
you are a grass blade tht's about to get cut):

        ____       |      ____
     --/    \------|-----/    \--

Well, sort of like that.  The sharp part is just a bevel on the edge.
I can use the grinder to freshen up the edge, basically grinding it
back a bit so that the very edge of the bevel is sharp.
Because the blade isn't straight, I have to angle the blade around
in order to get the wheel to all the sharp bits.  Try
to take an even amount off the blade , so move the blade
along the grinder rather than just grinding in one place.
Keep the same bevel angle also.

It's sort of like sharpening a big knife except you only sharpen
one side, not both.  (your blades may vary, etc).
If you haven't sharpened anything before, try just using a file.
Chuck the blade in a bench vise and wear gloves.

Don't grind in one place very long or you will overheat the steel
there and it will dull quickly.

I can't get it totally sharp with the wheel, and also the wheel leaves
a 'bur' on the very edge, so I clean it up and finish it with
a fine file.  I also use a chainsaw file on the rounded corners of the
raised part of the blade.

To balance, stick a screwdriver in the hole and see if the
blade balances.  If it doesn't, take a bit off the back of the blade
on the heavy side.

Eric