RE: Under the hood temperature

To: "shoptalk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Under the hood temperature
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:55:56 -0700
> If I had a magic wand I would like a temperature gauge that has the
> range of 40F to about 350F.  It would have 2 probes so that I could
> mount one under the hood and the other one on the bumper giving me
> both the engine compartment temperature and the ambient air temperature.
> Of course it all should be cheap.
>
> Now the question is what can I get that might help me?  Any ideas? A

Radio Shack sells a remote-sensing digital thermometer ("Indoor/Outdoor")
for about $15 that should work for the front bumper.  But I think it only
reads to 150F or so.  For the underhood measurement, you can get a DMM with
thermocouple inputs for around $60.  Radio Shaft probably has these too, but
I haven't looked there for them.  My local independent electronics supply
has them, though.

Randall