Re: Under the hood temperature

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Under the hood temperature
From: mporter@zianet.com
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 04:05:46 GMT
Bill Gilroy writes:

> This might be a bit off topic but, I am trying to reduce the under the
> hood temperature in my MG.  I have several things I want to try but I
> would really like to cook up a way to measure the under the hood
> temperature.  This will allow me to get a real understanding if the
> changes I make have a large or small effect.
>
> If I had a magic wand I would like a temperature gauge that has the
> range of 40F to about 350F.  It would have 2 probes so that I could
> mount one under the hood and the other one on the bumper giving me
> both the engine compartment temperature and the ambient air temperature.
> Of course it all should be cheap.

In the absence of finding a gauge with a switchable input, try looking
around for some stuff called Tempilstick. In one form, it's like thick
crayon, and I think is also available in paint form. It changes color with
heat, and is available in different temperature ranges. That would at least
tell you underhood temps.

As for getting the underhood temperatures down, there are two sure ways. If
you don't care about originality, louvers in the hood. The other would be
to have the exhaust manifold ceramic-coated (JetHot or similar process).
The latter does help quite a bit.

Cheers.