Re: Under the hood temperature

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Under the hood temperature
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:52:27 -0400
It is also my understanding that one or more of the chemical additives mixed
with gasoline to reduce emissions was not only worthless, but the scientist who
made the recommendations for its use lied about its safety. I forget what the
acronym was, but the chemical, when spilled on the ground, found its way into
drinking water supplies in the area and was determined to be carcinogenic. All
know about the new formulations is that it doesn't run worth a damn in my older
machinery, stinks something terrible and gives me a headache, but at least it
doesn't seem to go bad when stored or left in the tank over the winter.

Mike

Dave Williams wrote:
> Randall Young wrote:
>

>>You might want to check out
>>http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/index.html
>>for a little "light" reading on the characteristics of modern gasoline.
>

>  Though Bruce is a nice guy and worked hard at the FAQ (and is a
> petrochemical engineer by profession, so he gets paid to know that kind
> of stuff), he's limited by his sources.  For example, being in New
> Zealand, he'd never actually driven a car that was running fuel
> contaminated with ETBE or MTBE.  The literature says it's great stuff,
> doesn't harm fuel lines, reduces emissions, doesn't affect gas mileage,
> and increases power.  So Bruce, guided by The Official Word, says that.
> However, that's "ozone science", and even a lot of closed-loop EFI cars
> have trouble with MTBE, and it ruined the carburetors on my Yamaha when
> it dissolved the fuel lines into black rubberoid gick.
>
>  Most of what he says is straight stuff, though.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

  "Be who you are and say what you feel because those
  who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

              Theodor Seuss Geisel, "Dr. Seuss"