RE: Under the hood temperature

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Under the hood temperature
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:58:59 -0700
>  Though Bruce is a nice guy and worked hard at the FAQ (and is a
> petrochemical engineer by profession,

Which is always a problem when getting an opinion from a professional, it's
rarely wise to bite the hand that feeds you.

> so he gets paid to know that kind
> of stuff), he's limited by his sources.  For example, being in New
> Zealand, he'd never actually driven a car that was running fuel
> contaminated with ETBE or MTBE.  The literature says it's great stuff,
> doesn't harm fuel lines, reduces emissions, doesn't affect gas mileage,
> and increases power.  So Bruce, guided by The Official Word, says that.

I must've missed that part, could you point it out to me, please ?

"The
emissions of toxic carbonyls such as formaldehyde, acetaldehyde and acrolein
are increased slightly on all vehicles, ..."

"It should be noted that because oxygenates contain oxygen that can
not provide energy, they will have significantly lower energy contents."

And he carefully ducked the question of what happens when burning RFG in
cars not designed for it...

> However, that's "ozone science", and even a lot of closed-loop EFI cars
> have trouble with MTBE, and it ruined the carburetors on my Yamaha when
> it dissolved the fuel lines into black rubberoid gick.

"These highly aromatic gasolines can result in
in damage to elastomers and increased levels of toxic aromatic emissions
if used without exhaust catalysts."

- Elastomers being a fancy name for carb gaskets, soft fuel lines, fuel pump
diaphragms, etc...

Randall