Slightly off-topic question

To: "Shop-Talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slightly off-topic question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:20:18 -0700
The ceiling joists in my attached garage (which I use as my shop) are 2x6
beams on 4' centers (yes, 48" centers) that span roughly 24' between the
walls.  Obviously the original intent was only to hold the walls together,
but the previous owner laid some plywood down and my wife and I loaded the
space up when we moved in.  By now I'm not sure what all's up there, but
it's probably mostly books.  Last night I looked up and realized that one of
the beams is broken !  It's cracked about 3/4 of the way through and has
sagged until it appears the load is actually being carried by some 8'
fluorescent lights !  (I wouldn't have believed you could bend a fluorescent
tube that far without breaking it.)

My thought is to jack the beam up until it's horizontal, then lay a 16' 2x6
on each side (one resting on each wall) and run bolts through all three 2x6.
(I'd have to seriously disassemble the house to get a new 24' beam in
there.)  Any comments on the flaws in my plan, or a better way ?
Suggestions on how big and how many bolts to use ?

TIA
Randall