Re: Slightly off-topic question

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>,
Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic question
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:37:31 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
To: "Shop-Talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 11:55 AM
Subject: Slightly off-topic question

Firstly, there is nothing off-topic about your question.  This is just the
sort of thing we talk about on shop-talk all the time.

> The ceiling joists in my attached garage (which I use as my shop) are 2x6
> beams on 4' centers (yes, 48" centers) that span roughly 24' between the
> walls.

This is similar to what I had on the existing garage when I moved in here 4
years ago.  The garage was 20 feet wide outside measure,  I had the garage
expanded out the front 28 feet, and the contractor used prefab trusses on 2-
foot centers.

Since the original garage was to be the greatest part of my shop area, and
since the shop needed a ceiling and insulation, and since the original roof
was a bit of a trampoline, I decided that 48" centers was a little
inadequate.

The rafters were on 16" centers.  The existing joists were each nailed to
the side of a rafter and resting on the top plate of the wall.  The simplest
thing seemed to be to fill in with new joists in the same manner.  I went
out and bought ten 20-foot 2x6 boards and fashioned them to fit in the same
way as the existing.  This gave me a good framework to staple up insulation,
staple up vapor barrier and screw up (no jokes, please) hardboard ceiling
panels.

I strongly suggest that you do the same.  Sistering the broken joist is a
good idea, but is not the solution to your problem.  Proper support for the
floor above is.

I had plenty of room to slide the new joist into the eaves area to get the
other end up.  I did the whole place in one day.  As an anyone who knows me
will attest, I am not Charles Atlas.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org