Re: Speaking of exhausts...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of exhausts...
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 07:33:57 -0400
I would not be overly concerned about either the exhaust nor the intake. I
would
build a box and place the generator in it next to an outside wall and run the
exhaust as short a distance as possible as Keith suggested. I would also extend
the intake out through the wall and put the air cleaner outside too, if
possible. Then the only other thing you need to be concerned about is cooling
the unit. If it is water cooled, you can just bring the radiator outside, but
if
it is air cooled, then you need to work out something to move air through the
box. If you can live with the noise and heat, then you can skip the box, and
just use a shelf. Probably the best place for this would be next to the
transfer
switch (you will have a transfer switch, right?).

But having a CO alarm/detector is not a bad idea in any shop, regardles of
whether you have a generator inside or not.

Mike

Keith Kaplan wrote:
> I don't know about yours, but my generator has threads inside the
> muffler's outlet, so with the right fitting, you could have a perfect
> seal from the generator to the tube that runs out of the shop.  I once
> helped setup a mobile shop inside a semi trailer and we found the parts
> to run the welder/generator's exhaust outside at the local RV shop.
> There is a flexible metal pipe (almost looks like flex conduit) that
> they sell for just that purpose.
>
> Obviously the pipe gets hot eventually, and you'll want to be careful
> with what materials (is there insulation in your shop walls?) are near
> the pipe.  The running engine is also sucking oxygen out of the shop, so
> if you have a perfectly sealed shop you could eventually make yourself
> lightheaded.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Speech is conveniently located midway between thought
and action, where it often substitutes for both.
-John Andrew Holmes