Re: Adhesive question

To: <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adhesive question
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:24:26 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>
To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 5:20 PM
Subject: Adhesive question

> This one is a little difficult because I don't have many of the facts.
>
> I have a 1984 turntable whose plastic hinges are slightly broken. After
cleaning with acetone, I tried epoxying plexiglass squares to the cracked
surface to act as a reinforcement. But the epoxy easily separated from both
the plexiglass and the plastic.

> Do you have any idea what plastic would have been used in mid-fi Japanese
consumer electronics in those days?

> Would contact cement be a better adhesive for this?
>
> Are there just way too few available facts :)?
>
> Thanks, shoptalkers.
>
> Ken Landaiche

    I'd think that old fashioned model cement (you know, the kind that some
people like to sniff so therefore it's very hard to find) would work best.
As I recall it actually dissolves the plastic before the various VOC
solvents evaporate.

    Another alternative might be Plexiglas solvent which does the same thing
to the plexi (if this old memory serves me correctly!).

    And finally, the new form of model cement - specialized Super Glue - the
brand name that I remember from the model shop is "Zap" - here's a link to a
company that sells it.  They have some descriptions of the various products.
http://www.modeltool.com/zap/zapindex.html

    The company website appears to be: http://www.zapglue.com but I couldn't
connect when I tried.

    Let us know what works - I might be running into the same challenges
soon!

Mark Watson
1965 Ford Falcon - daily driver
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - undergoing a slow restoration
other transportation devices