RE: angle grinder?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: angle grinder?
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:10:40 -0500
I am going to add some personal comments-

Get a grinder with a standard threaded arbor (SAE threads).
Do not buy a 4" grinder if you can get a 4.5" grinder.
A 5" grinder is better yet.
A paddle switch is safer than a slide switch.

Why?
A 4.5" or 5" grinder with a metric thread is an exercise in frustration. Few,
actually very few, sources stock wire brushes and other accessories for these
arbors. They will grind fine, but that is all. I usually leave a wire wheel on
one of my grinders at all times. (I learned about the metric threads when I
bought a Grizzly 5" grinder.)

There are less tools and accessories available for a 4" grinder and disks are a
bit less common. They have a smaller arbor diameter.  (Learned all that after I
owned a Makita 4" grinder.)

A 5" grinder (with standard arbor) will use either 4.5" or 5" disks and cut
faster with a 5" disk. Sears, Dewalt and sometimes Harbor Freight make
interesting 5" grinders. Some are large like a 7" grinder, some are small like
a 4.5" grinder. (Love my Harbor Freight 5" grinders with paddle switch.)

A paddle switch tool is turned off when you loosen your grip. A slide switch is
often not. Paddles are nicer.

In summary, the small grinders are the most useful tool I use. Can't count how
many I own. Even the best ones do break down. (I have a non-operational
late-model Milwaukee.)

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX