Garage door opener electronics

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Garage door opener electronics
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:33:27 -0500
Hi all.  Does anyone know how a garage door safety reversing system works,
from an circuitry perspective?  I'm talking about the beam transmitted
across the opening.  There are two screw terminals on the opener for these
components.  The IR transmitter and receiver components each have two
wires.  One from each goes to each screw terminal.  One is obviously
supplying power and the other is obviously a common ground.  There is no
separate "signal" wire to indicate that the beam is obstructed or
clear.  This must be superimposed over the existing two wires
somehow.  Anyone know how?  The particular unit in question is a Sears
(Chamberlain), but I'm sure others are similar.  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
trovato@computer.net