RE: Mandrel Bent Tubing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Mandrel Bent Tubing
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanz1@msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:17:07 -0400
         I would LOVE to hear that that hydraulic jack gizmo would do what
I want it to do!
         It should be clear from my questions that I don't know a lot about
bending tubing, but this is what I've gathered from the research that I've
done.
         First, Drawn over Mandrel (DOM) is the way that the tube is made
not the way that it is bent.  Mandrel bending, so far as I can tell,
involves inserting a 'mandrel' (who'd have thought it?) into the tubing and
then bending it using special dies.  The mandrel is sort of a chain of
spheres (it's a little more advanced than that) that keep the tubing from
collapsing at all while the bend is made.  The other way to bend is called
a pressure bend.  Pressure bending is pretty much what you do when you use
a pipe bender for electrical work.  I think that some people pack sand into
the pipe when pressure bending to approximate a mandrel and to try to
minimize collapse.

Paul