RE: How to oil air tools?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How to oil air tools?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:18:10 -0800
> I'm new to air tools, and have bought some cheap ones at HF to get
> started. They say to oil them daily, but it's not so clear as to where
> to put the oil in them, what kind of oil to use, or how much. Do I just
> put the oil in the air input hole? Doesn't sound right.

As many others have said, most tools are oiled through the air intake.
Impact drivers will usually have an additional oil port to lube the drive
mechanism, but still need oil through the air intake to lube the air motor
vanes.

I'm fond of Kano Kroil as an air motor lubricant.  Seems to work better for
me, especially on high speed die grinders and such, than 3-in-1, MM oil, or
the "air tool" oil they sell at HF.  I use motor oil in the impact drive
mechanism, tho.

> Seems to me I read somewhere that I should not use teflon tape on the
> air line connections as bits of the tape can come off and cause problems
> in the tool. Is that correct?

Yes.  It's not really that big a problem, worst you'll have to do is
disassemble and clean, but why take the chance ?

> Is there any type of sealer I should use on the treaded connectors?

I wouldn't use anything unless you have a problem with them leaking, they
normally don't.  If you do need a sealer, get some pipe dope at Home Depot
or whatever.  I like the more expensive stuff with the Teflon in it, but the
cheap stuff will probably work just as well.

Randall