Re: HF Welding helmuts?

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: HF Welding helmuts?
From: Dave C <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:11:01 -0800
At 08:27 AM 11/8/2003 -0500, Don Malling wrote:
>My body shop guy said they help a lot. He said his sons use the HF cheap
>ones and love them. He said he spent $180.00 on a Miller and the lens failed.
>
>The question is quality/reliability of the lens -- these are my eyes we're
>talking about...

         I have 2 stick welders and a Lincoln wire feeder, and  have 3
helmets, a regular  small window non automatic, a big window non automatic,
and a cheap HF auto darkening model (external adjustment, photocell) model
I got a year or so for less than $100.  It's the only one I use now.  I
have installed a "cheater" lens on the inside glass for additional
magnification, as my bifocals don't work at all under the helmet.  You can
get cheaters in various powers at any good welding store.   The automatic
feature is great, but where it's really invaluable is stick welding for
getting the arc started, no fumbling around trying to get the rod in the
right place and the arc struck.

Dave C