Re: HF Welding helmuts?

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: HF Welding helmuts?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:29:36 -0500
Go check out this page on the Lincoln site:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/weldinglenses.asp

They make some very interesting points:

1.  The real protection comes from the lens whether it is activated or
not.  That is, the UV and IR is filtered even when the lens is not darkened.

2.  Because of this, the shade used for a particular job is just a matter
of comfort, not safety.  Use whatever feels best.

These points were both a surprise to me when I first read them.  Go check
out the page.  There's a lot of interesting info there.  And of course, a
pitch for the lenses that they sell.  And I will add my endorsement for
auto-darkening in general.  For a pro who's been welding forever, it's a
convenience, but not that big of a deal.  For amateurs like me, they're
awesome!

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net