Re: HF Welding helmuts?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HF Welding helmuts?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:30:37 -0500
Well, that is interesting.

They warn about getting "flashed" if the helmet turns off the battery
when you're not using it, and the helmet doesn't auto darken. They also
suggest auto darkening of .0004. More doesn't matter.

Sounds like your eyes will "hurt" from the brightness but not be damaged
because the lens filters the IR and UV regardless of whether it's
darkened or not.

Sounds kind'a funny. Why do your eyes hurt if they're not being hurt by
the IR and UV. I suppose just the brightness -- eye muscle strain trying
to close down the pupils to reduce the brightness -- still sounds kind'a
funny. I wonder. I thought you shouldn't look directly into the sun
because of the brightness, not because of the IR or UV. Maybe IR and UV
are not reflected. They are absorbed by the things around us, so your
eyes don't get the sun's UV or IR unless you look directly at it? Maybe....

Don