RE: "Good Enough" but Good Value

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "Good Enough" but Good Value
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:53:40 -0800
>> In the US
>> we seem to have this mentality that cost is king, and
>> if something is $5.00 cheaper, we are foolish not to
>> buy it instead.
>
> I'm not talking about $5 cheaper, I'm talking about tools that are almost
> as good, and half the price or less (1/4 is not unusual)

I tend to prefer good tools.  But...in many cases, either there just
*isn't* anything or the value proposition isn't there - the cost is *way*
out of line to the value provided.

You cannot find a new, US-made (or made-anywhere-but-China) drill press, at
least not at a price that's practical for anyone short of Boeing, and the
generic Chinese stuff that's everywhere is, pretty uniformly, slightly
better than junk IMO.

I've got one of the Chinese things; I figure my *next* purchase in that
product category is going to have to be thirty years old in order to find
something decent.

>> power tools: Milwaukee or Porter Cable
>
> The most expensive drill motor I ever bought was a Milwaukee, as you said
> I planned for it to be a once in a lifetime purchase.

I've generally had good luck with Milwaukee.  Just bought a cordless
Sawzall (needed to cut the tops out of the front strut towers of a Saab
9000 at the junkyard, but that's another story.)

Noted while buying a new DeWalt battery drill a few weeks ago that pretty
much everything in their line is now Mexican-assembled.

>> measurement: Starrett
>
> Whew! Nothing like the good stuff eh ?  I bought an entire 0-6" set of
> mikes for the price of one Starrett.  They'll still be in good shape when
> I die, but might not bring as much at the estate sale.  Oh well.

Yeah, I've been gradually filling in my Mitutoyo collection, from used/ebay
sources.

John.