Re: "Good Enough" but Good Value

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Good Enough" but Good Value
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:14:49 -0800
> I'll second this statement.  There's a psychological effect for some of
> us.  And if someone is always buying cheap,
> they'll never discover the joy of fine tools.

There's:

a) Cheap tools that'll fail catastrophically and knock your teeth out.  In
this case your insurance agent will appreciate your buying the good stuff.

b) Cheap tools that work but can hardly be called 'precision' e.g. cheap
drill presses.  Depending on what you're trying to achieve (a sloppy
flare-nut wrench will ruin your WHOLE day) the cheap stuff may or may not
be acceptable.

c) Cheap tools that may or may not have longevity issues but otherwise does
the job quite nicely, particularly when precision is not an issue.  I'd put
the $15 Harbor Freight angle grinders in this category.

Mostly, these days, I've concluded that good used stuff is better than
cheap new stuff.

I usually don't mind paying money for good stuff (though new Snap-On stuff
pushes the limits of reality) when there's real precision and/or durability
involved.

What I don't like is when what used to be the US power-tool industry
toddles off to some low-cost bunghole and contracts for cheapened one-use
tools, but still expects us to pay good-stuff money.

I'd much rather buy a $20 Harbor Freight oiled-box special than the
equivalent $70 Black and Decker device that comes out of the other door of
the same factory.

John.