Re: driveway?

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: driveway?
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:15:22 -0800
At 12:18 AM 12/24/2003 -0500, Rush wrote:

>shiples@comcast.net wrote:
> > my driveway is in something called turfstone, a
> > concrete grid that
> > allows grass to grow through.  Instead of scrubbing grease stains, I'm
> > digging out and replanting little 4 inch square pieces of sod.
>
>So overall do you or don't you like it? I always thought it was a neat
>concept, especially for low traffic areas that still needed to be driven
>on.

I chose it, and I'd do it again.  I like the look, but it has it's own unique
maintenance requirements.  The biggest downside isnt from traffic, but
from parking.  You can drive hundred of cars per day over the stuff but you
cant leave a car in the driveway without moving it.  It only takes
a couple of days before the grass loses its color and it starts to die in a
couple of weeks.  I left a pickup in the driveway over the summer and when
I finally got mobile again, I had to dig out and replant maybe 50 little
squares.
Not the toughest job in the world, but everyone else occasionally sweeps and
hoses off the drive.  I have to mow and water.

If I was able to build my dreams, I'd incorporate some concrete paving, some
gravel, some pavers, some turfstone, bark, etc around the buildings.  Hmmm...
Cars, Boats, Planes, Bikes......and places to play.  Where's Santa when you
need him?

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA