Re: auto-body spray gun - for appliances?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: auto-body spray gun - for appliances?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:25:51 -0500
At 01:04 PM 2/13/2004 -0600, Lee Daniels wrote:

>In days of old I've painted a couple of cars with a hobby-quality gun, and
>got good results. But the paint was lacquer and dried immediately, before
>any dust or bugs found their way onto the surface.  And if they did, I just
>rubbed them out.  But lacquer can't be had from the auto-paint shops
>anymore.
>
>So now I've got a kitchen full of black appliances with the exception of a
>white refrigerator, and SWMBO says Why don't we just paint the refrigerator
>black?  (After all, we painted it white years ago...)   Is it possible to
>spray black gloss enamel myself and have it look decent, or am I wasting my
>time without a spray booth?  And *black* - yikes.

Lee,

Yes, check and see if you can't still get acrylic enamel in your area.  That's
easy to spray.  It may leave some orange peel.  How smooth do you want it, and
how much work are you willing to put into it?  If it orange peels you can
wet sand and buff it out.

I don't think I'd mess with the catalized paints for that project.  Not worth
the cost.

Also check you local auto parts store.  You should be able to get a "bug bomb"
spray can in enamel and possibly lacquer.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan