Re: tools on wheels

To: "Ron Horwitz" <ronglue@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tools on wheels
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:12:53 -0500
There was an article in 'Tools & Shops' (a 'Fine WoodWorking' annual
magazine) about mobile bases. I already have a few mobile bases and agree
with the conclusions from this author. This article is not on-line but here
is a link to this magazine.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/nmw027_toc.asp

For my 12" PowerMatic table saw with a large extension table I have a
'dedicated' HTC unit. It probably raises the saw about 3/4" and allows me to
roll this large, heavy tool around my garage/work shop.

For other tools, I use the Delta 50-345. This 'universal' kit is basically
four corner units (2 wheels & 2 feet) plus a foot operated locking lever
that allows me to move tools (i.e. 6" jointer) and place them where I want
them during use. You have to make 4 hardwood rails to customize the base for
your needs. This base also raises the tool about 3/4".

IIRC, the HTC cost about $75-100, the Delta probably half that. I think they
are worth the price.

If anyone would like pictures, lemme know and I can email them as an
attachment.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC