RE: tools on wheels

To: Michael Burdick <burdickm@mindspring.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tools on wheels
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:20:22 -0500
Hi.  Sorry I'm checking in late on this topic.  I bought a set of these
from Woodcraft for my table saw.  I have not installed them.  It seems to
me that it is important for the caster to be level so it can swivel around
freely.  Otherwise, it will get stuck rotated with the wheel at the high
spot.  I think the design of these is assuming that they will be mounted at
an angle that will keep the casters level.  When I went to put them on my
table saw, it was clear that the angle would not be maintained on the
Grizzly saw I have.  I have been contemplating various modifications, but
the project has been shelved for the time being.

I have been using a base with two wheels on one end and a single caster on
the other.  I have found the "three point" stance to have some stability
problems.  When feeding long boards sometimes the saw starts to turn.  Not
very good.  Also, the single caster-two wheel design limits the saw to a
single "driving direction".  This is OK in open space, but in tight
quarters I need to move sideways.  Can't do that with the base I
have.  Hope this is helpful, if not timely.

-Steve