Garage heaters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Garage heaters
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:14:15 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

So, in my quest to learn more about natural gas piping, I've discovered
that piping is sized per the expected btu load of each branch, etc...

Which made me think about what I was going to need for a garage heater...

Anyone have any recommendations for a thermostat controlled, permanent
mount, natural gas heater that will work well for a 24x24 insulated
garage?  Ventless preferred due to ease of installation, but requiring a
vent isn't the end of the world (and I'm suspecting it'll be required with
the but output I'll need...)

Currently I heat with a 55k btu kerosene heater which seems to heat up my
similarly sized, and what should end up being less insulated, old space
reasonably well.  A bit more btu probably wouldn't hurt, but also probably
isn't required.  I suspect I'll size the gas pipe for 80k btu or so just
to be a little over spec, though I'll have a gas range on the same line,
so I might want to cut it down a bit just to keep the pipe size
reasonable...

In particular... Radiant or forced air?  The only concern I have with
forced air is that I MIG weld some, so a real breeze isn't gonna be too
handy.  But I wonder how well a radiant heater will work in a garage where
things are in the way of the heat or whatever.

Being able to mount the heater up near the ceiling would help out space
issues, but can be worked around.  Cost is, of course, a factor as well.

Thanks!

Mark