Re: Garage heaters

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: Garage heaters
From: Ron Horwitz <ronglue@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:16:20 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Anyone have any recommendations for a thermostat
> controlled, permanent
> mount, natural gas heater that will work well for a
> 24x24 insulated
> garage?  Ventless preferred due to ease of

I just finished building a 23 x 27 shop and used a
45,000 btu Modine Hot Dawg, mounted in the top forward
corner of the building, with the thermostat about
middle of the front wall.  Insulation is key
(including the garage door - spendy but worth it).
Mine vents straight up through the roof, but you can
also do a side wall which is probably easier.  I think
this is a case where you bite the bullet, vent it and
never worry about it again.  I have a regular house
thermostat (45-90) and leave it set on 49-50.  Even at
20 degrees outside, it will run about 5 minutes per
45-60.  At 30 degrees, 5 minutes per 90.  Quiet enough
that I don't adjust the radio volume.  I have never
turned it up above 55.  Usually that one cycle at 55
when I go out is enough to allow me to remove my coat,
and then by the time I get going, 50 is all that it
takes to keep it comfortable.  I did this right -
during our first winter in the new house so there
won't be "old" and "new" gas bills to compare, but I
have been surprised how little it runs and how low I
can keep the thermostat and still be comfortable.

Ron