RE: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps

To: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>, Shop-Talk List
Subject: RE: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps
From: "Mullen, Tim (IIS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:53:54 -0700
Mike Sloane [mailto:msloane@att.net] wrote:

>  In addition to Dave's remarks, I don't think you
> really want more than 60 psi in your home - higher
> pressure is very hard on things like toilet tank
> valves, ice makers, water heaters, and other fixtures.

BTDT.  We had a problem with the water system in our
first house.  Although the normal water pressure was
around 50 PSI, the pressure would occasionally surge
to around 100 PSI.

I awoke in the middle of the night once to the sound
of running water.  The toilet tank line had "blown out"
of it's fitting.  That one cost us new carpeting in the
whole house (it was on a slab), lots of re-plastering
the bottoms of the walls (there was about 2 inches
of standing water), new flooring in the bathroom and
kitchen, and a lot of work.  The water company never
admitted fault, but they did install a new pressure
regulator...

Tim Mullen