Re: Cordless Phones

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cordless Phones
From: Eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:59:52 -0400
Ok, I'm no expert, but I'll give you my 2 cents about what I know.

First off, it seems that we are at a limit of radio commutation via
wireless means without licenses.  Most wireless devices are using closer
bands and frequencies and itbs starting to degrade performance.

With that said, you need to ask yourself what you plan to use the phone
for. And, most importantly, what is around you.

900MHz is not a bad blow end.b  These phones will work just about
everywhere in a standard 4000sg ft home.  Considering how low priced they
are, this may be what you want to go.

2.4MHz phones give a better range.  For the most part, these phones will
give you pretty good range outside of the home as well, but donbt expect
them to go through 2 exterior walls (i.e. if you are in an out building and
the base is in your house.)  However, just standing in front of a window
should fix that problem.

Then is the bNexGenb of cordless phones.  The 5.8MHz.  These phones give
the best range. Their prices reflect this.  Note, these phones can be
interfered with by other wireless devices, (wireless internet access
points/hubs/routers/etc).  Microwave ovens also can interfere with these.

Another thing to consider is if, and how many, phone extensions you may
want to add.  There are bexpansion systemsb that allow you to put 1 base
station, wired to the phone line, and add 8 handsets that donbt need phone
connections.  This is a great option for the most part.

Also, gauge your surroundings.  Do you live close to your neighborbs
houses?  They may have devices that interfere with your phone.  If there
are lots of houses near you, you may consider a 900MHz.  If you, like me,
live on a large farm, but have lots of wireless commo equipment, you may
want to go with the 2.4MHz.  If you have lots of space and are not
interested in lots of other wireless devices, the 5.8MHz may be for you.
(of course your wallet gets a say as well.)

Overall, I donbt think you can go wrong with any of these technologies for
most common houses.

If you are wondering, I use the 2 of the Panasonic KX-TG4000B.  This is a 4
line, expansion system.  Each of my 2 base stations has 8 handsets (thatbs
a total of 18 phone points, 16 wireless) Then I have some other hard-wired
phones.  This phone system has worked great for me and despite some minor
features it lacks, itbs REALLY robust.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=F&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=62850&catGroupId=11109&modelNo=KX-TG4000B&surfModel=KX-TG4000B&ignoreRedirect=1

Things I like about it areb&
Pages me when I have a message
Each of the lines can have separate outgoing messages and mailboxes
Great backup for power failures
Lots of other things

Things I donbt likeb&
I canbt share memory phone numbers with each handset
Canbt connect to my network, 8>(  (I canbt find any system that can yet.)

Inch
http://megageek.com

"Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war,
         for a lead role in a cage?"  R Waters.