Re: Cordless Phones

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cordless Phones
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:25:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 Eric@megageek.com wrote:

> First off, it seems that we are at a limit of radio commutation via
> wireless means without licenses.  Most wireless devices are using closer
> bands and frequencies and itbs starting to degrade performance.

All cordless phones and similar 'you own the system' units are using
unlicensed spectrum, whether 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz. The main
difference is power limits in the band and the characteristics of the
band. Permitted power levels increase as frequency increases, but the
higher the frequency, the more like light the signal will behave.

> With that said, you need to ask yourself what you plan to use the phone
> for. And, most importantly, what is around you.

Exactly. I won't buy an analog cordless phone, because anyone with a
decent scanner can listen to that narrow-band FM signal - over more
distance than you might expect. Spread-spectrum digital is my requirement
(and that's 'frequency hopping' spread spectrum in case you're
interested). It costs a bit more, but it makes eavesdropping nigh
impossible except for those who really want to - and if that's the case,
they can try to hook into my NID - except that I use Vonage, so...

[snip]

> Another thing to consider is if, and how many, phone extensions you may
> want to add.  There are bexpansion systemsb that allow you to put 1 base
> station, wired to the phone line, and add 8 handsets that donbt need phone
> connections.  This is a great option for the most part.

Another good point. Costco has had a Uniden 5.8GHz multi-handset system
that a friend picked up a few months ago. Handsets can work peer-to-peer
(so you could use them as walkie-talkies on a hiking trip, for example),
and sound quality and range have been excellent on his property.

> Also, gauge your surroundings.  Do you live close to your neighborbs
> houses?  They may have devices that interfere with your phone.  If there
> are lots of houses near you, you may consider a 900MHz.  If you, like me,
> live on a large farm, but have lots of wireless commo equipment, you may
> want to go with the 2.4MHz.  If you have lots of space and are not
> interested in lots of other wireless devices, the 5.8MHz may be for you.
> (of course your wallet gets a say as well.)

One correction - 802.11, 802.11b and 802.11g gear all operate within the
2.4 GHz ISM band - the same band on which your microwave oven and 2.4GHz
cordless telephone will operate (and experience interference). 802.11a
operates on the 5.8GHz band, but will not interfere with the operation of
5.8GHz cordless phones.

In a conventional single-family environment (suburbia), I'd go 5.8GHz.
Were I on a larger property, I'd look for a good 900MHz spread spectrum,
and attach the base to a good antenna. In the end, that will give you the
best distance coverage in the most cost effective manner.

Hope this helps!

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Vienna, VA