Re: Cordless tools......

To: Mandy Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Cordless tools......
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:06:45 -0700
Steve,
Here are a few thoughts (but , regrettably, few answers)

I have a Bosch, about 10 years old and love it.   I think that there are
several very good brands that you mentioned, although I would not
  include Skil in that category.   I suggest you consider the
following factors:
1. Battery replacement.  One nice feature of the Makita 9.2 v tool
is that it is easy to find and buy replacement batteries. ( Makita has
come the closest to creating a "standard") Not true for all brands.
For this reason when it comes time for me to replace my screwdriver I
think I will
try to guess which is the most popular to help ensure battery
availability in the
future.
2, Battery replacement cost.  Batteries have a finite life and you may
(will) need to
buy batteries - price out replacement batteries. You ight be surprised.
3. Find out your preference for power / weight.  For me, I rarely max
out on the capability
of my 12v Bosch.  I generally go for more power than I think I need in
power tools with
the exception of the cordless drill. How often has your 9.2v been not
enough?

-Roger