Undercabinet lighting

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Undercabinet lighting
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:06:30 -0600
Warning - no automotive content.

New kitchen cabinets will be here soon - like almost 60' of them.  The
culmination of a wifely demand of about 5 years ago, a project from Hell that
really extended into lots of things I never planned to ever address.  Never
gonna do this again (famous last words).

I'll be putting in under-cabinet lighting, and I haven't researched it much.
The websites I've looked at aren't all that helpful.  I think I want
low-voltage Xenon lighting, but what are the pros and cons.  The websites seem
to indicate that Xenon runs cooler, a real drawback of halogen units that's
been worrying me.  What about dimming?

Then there's plain old fluorescent - are there credible low-voltage
fluorescents, or are they all just toys?  And you can dim fluorescents too,
but aren't fluorescent dimmers still expen$ive?  And can you dim low-voltage
fluorescent?

What else should I look at?

TIA

Karl