Re: Undercabinet lighting

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Undercabinet lighting
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:53:14 -0500
Karl Vacek wrote:
> Warning - no automotive content.

I disagree. Under cabinet lighting in the shop is very much on topic.
Just because you want to blow that part of your shop budget on something
nice for the wife, who am I to judge? :)

> New kitchen cabinets will be here soon - like almost 60' of them.  The
> culmination of a wifely demand of about 5 years ago, a project from Hell that
> really extended into lots of things I never planned to ever address.  Never
> gonna do this again (famous last words).
>
> I'll be putting in under-cabinet lighting, and I haven't researched it much.
> The websites I've looked at aren't all that helpful.  I think I want
> low-voltage Xenon lighting, but what are the pros and cons.  The websites seem
> to indicate that Xenon runs cooler, a real drawback of halogen units that's
> been worrying me.  What about dimming?
>
> Then there's plain old fluorescent - are there credible low-voltage
> fluorescents, or are they all just toys?  And you can dim fluorescents too,
> but aren't fluorescent dimmers still expen$ive?  And can you dim low-voltage
> fluorescent?

My preference would be for the fluorescent. Why would you need low
voltage? The compact fixtures that run on 120v provide the right amount
of light for under a cabinet. I wouldn't use dimmers for them. Dimming
fluorescent bulbs is a relatively new technology with some problems.
Just wire them so you can turn off alternating halves or thirds. The
downside to me is that compact fluorescent fixtures are very expensive
compared to conventional fluorescent ceiling lighting. Bulb replacement
costs are also ridiculous in my book. Compare costs, including bulb
life, before you buy. Your operating costs, apart from bulb replacement,
should be significantly better vs. Halogen.

To prevent the sterile, operating room appearance from using standard
fluorescent lights, I use the warmer, full spectrum bulbs in my kitchen.
It makes the kitchen a very inviting place to be instead of a place you
want to avoid. Of course bulb replacement costs go up again.

I'd be loath to put anything as hot as halogens under my cabinets. The
heat may do things to sensitive contents inside (spices, chocolates,
fine china?) and I've seen where prolonged exposure to heat has aged
wood finishes. Then there is always the risk of fire from heat buildup
and the chance to burn a wayward hand.

Jon