Re: Rhino Ramps

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Rhino Ramps
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:34:47 -0500
Karl Vacek wrote:
> Is it just me and my crappy asphalt driveway, or is this typical with ramps?
> Do I have to block them in place somehow or anchor them to a long board that
> will extend under the rear tires (thus making storage a real PIA) ??
> More/better/bigger rubber feet?

   If the front of the ramp has a bar, one old-timer solution is to wrap
an old piece of carpet forward, over the bar and back, so the wheels pin
the carpet down before climbing the ramp.

   I have two-piece ramps, that have a normal ramp, and then a little
extension that makes it possible to drive low-front-end cars onto the
ramp without smashing the car's chin on the ramps. (Actually, these are
kind of a must, almost every car in my garage needs the extensions to be
ramped safely, it's not just a sports-car thing... my wife's 626 needs
them too)

   Anyways, the very front of the extensions have a kick-up, almost like
a sharp edge that points up, but it really helps grab the tire and makes
driving up the ramps easier. They are also a much shallower angle so
they are naturally easier to get up safely.

   If your ramps have optional extensions, consider trying them.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca