Re: Chev truck radiator

To: KVacek@Ameritech.net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Chev truck radiator
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:54:29 -0600
>Dunno how you got a plastic tank - my 1993 Suburban K1500 4X4 has always
had
>all metal.

Dunno either, but that's what's there.

>The R&R is duck soup - pull off the plastic cover above the radiator (lots
>of 10 mm hex head sheet metal screws and a few Phillips),

Seven 10 mm hex head screws into stamped clips.  No Phillips.

>split the fan
>shroud and remove the top half, remove the two brackets (top left and
right)
>holding the radiator down,

Seen all that stuff so far.  Exactly as you discribe.  Came right out.

>If you want a real PIA cooling system job, do the heater core, or even the
>rear heat and AC lines on that vehicle

The ventilation fan is intermittant.  I don't even know where it lives.  I
have been told the whole dash has to come out.

? I ordered a Modine
>(somewhere else), under $250 for the very best one they make for the
>Suburbans, and I don't expect to look at it again unless I need to pull it
>to get at something else.  Modines are the best IMHO - I've never had to
>have one repaired.

I can get a Modine here in town for 248 and I think I will be getting it.

>Our Suburban has always run cool, even towing heavy trailers in the
>summer.

Same here.  Both this '93 and the '86 which preceded it.

Phil Ethier