portable metal-cutting shears

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: portable metal-cutting shears
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:33:20 -0400
Shop-Listers:

I'd like to get recommendations from the list on a good quality metal-cutting
shears for cutting sheet metal 18 or 20 gauge.  Looking for a hand held shears,
either electric or pneumatic.  This is for non-professional use at home while
doing sheet metal work on my antique sports cars (aka junkers!)

Currently I'm using a pneumatic nibbler for long straight cuts or curves, but
I'm not happy with it because it takes out quite a bit of metal in its path,
over 1/8 of an inch, plus I can't really see where it's cutting very well; it's
hard to judge if I'm staying on my line or not, and finally, it leaves millions
of half-moon shards of metal all over the place.

I think a shear-type cutter would work better for me, especially for long
straight cuts.  Any help on a brand to buy and where to get it appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene Abbondelo