Re: portable metal-cutting shears

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: portable metal-cutting shears
From: ericm@lne.com
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:55:31 -0700
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 01:36:08PM -0400, Eric@megageek.com wrote:

> You ask about anyone with one of these band saws...
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37151
>
> I bought this one (it looks identical to this one) for $69 about 3 years
> ago.

$69!?  I've never seen them for less than 150 or so.
I must not be looking at the right time.

> It's great for cutting large or thick pieces of steal by itself.  I was
> making an extenstion for a tractor of mine and I needed to make a bunch of
> cut in 4" angle iron.  You can set up the cut and walk away from this
> machine.  When teh cut is finished, it will even turn itself off.  It's
> nice getting good cuts without haveing to babysit the machine.

Mine's from Enco.  Same thing.  It needs good quality blades as someone
else alredy said.  The stand is flimsy but acceptable.   On mine the
blade comes off the wheels if I don't crank down REALLY HARD on the tension.
But its still pretty useful.

If I was going to be cutting a lot of stuff I'd get a better model
but for infrequent hobby use its WAY better than a hacksaw.

Eric