Re: Questions on Emissions

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on Emissions
From: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:04:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Bob Spidell wrote:

> Eric/Inch,
>
> Could be O2 sensor and/or catalytic converter.   A bad O2 sensor would
>probably
> have fired the MIL ("Check Engine") idiot light.
>
> A tuneup (plugs, wires, rotor, cap, PCV) wouldn't hurt.
>
> I put a cat converter on my girlfriend's '95 Country for about $125, and an O2
> sensor costs about $80 (unless you buy it from Chrysler, of course ;)

        I'd second the cat.   Cats are only good for 50k miles or 100k miles
(depending on the year, I think the change was in 1996 also)

        Oxygen sensor could be an issue, but as I recall, excess hydro-carbons
means lean.  Every time I've had a O2 sensor go, the engine runs rich (none
were Jeeps though).   Then again, you said the exhaust manifold was
cracked.  Wonder if that might have done something to the O2 sensor.

        Also, it doesn't always hit the idiot light. (it never did on my Nissan
240SX)  You'd have to look at how the computer works (what it considers a
soft vs. hard failure, etc).  Also, there might be a way to read codes
(not all of which would trip the light).   Chrysler used to be able to be
sent into diag mode by turning the ignition on and off three times (but that
was k-cars, not sure about jeeps)

        Tim

Tim Hoerning  /  hoerni@cooper.edu
'91 Honda VFR 750, '84 Honda VT500 Ascot, '73 Honda CB350G Super Sport
'87 Chevy El Camino,  '90 Plymouth Laser