RE: Air leak?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air leak?
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:55:51 -0500
> So I just bought a '76 fiat spider.  Pretty decent little car, all in
> all.

snip

> The tires lose air pressure pretty quickly.  Tires are new, valve
> stems are new.  Wheels are 30-year old steel fiat wheels.  They're
> old, but they don't look banged up.

> So, a few questions:  while I've heard of wheels cracking around the
> studs, I don't think I've heard of cracks out at the rim.  Does this
> seem odd?

No

> How would I go about checking this?  It takes a couple of days to
> lose ~10 lbs pressure -- is that too slow to do a soapy-water test?

Immerse in tank of water and watch for the bubbles, even slow leak you'll
see 'em.

> Might it be bad valve stems, or valves?

Could be.

> Anyway, thought I'd run it by the list and see what you think.

JMHO, not a concensus of the list:-)

> Thanks,
> Matt

You're welcome, HTH.

If not valves or stems, probably rim leaks where the tire bead seats.
Pretty common in older alloy wheels that have been exposed to elements.  I
don't see how steel wheels could be immune.

Safety Fast!

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA
'67 MGBGT