RE: Parts Washer

To: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: Parts Washer
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:34:55 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 06:45 PM 10/31/2005 -0500, Charley Robinson wrote:

>Bill,
>I think the point you are missing is that no one is suggesting using a
>dishwasher with solvents. They are merely suggesting washing car parts in
>the dishwasher. There is a big difference there and relatively little
>environmental impact. While "an ill-informed homeowner" may in fact be doing
>more environmental damage than your company, I doubt they are doing it with
>a dishwasher.
>
>Charley Robinson

> >> The environmental impact of this might get you in deep
> >> trouble. This is right up there with dumping your waste
> >> oil down the sewer.
> >>

> > Using this logic, the environmental impact of washing your
> > greasy coveralls in your clothes washer might get you in
> > deep trouble.
>

>However, there's a big difference between the normal use of a clothes
>washer or dishwasher and that of a parts washer that is used with
>solvents to dislodge sludge from engine parts.
>
>My business, for example, spends lots of money, training and effort
>to dispose of hazardous materials properly, or to eliminate hazardous
>products. I find it ironic that one ill-informed homeowner can do
>more environmental damage than a company that employs over 200
>people, and they're less likely to get caught.
Hmmm......
My guess is that engine internals have some bad stuff but your grill and
hubcaps don't.  My best guess is that it's related to the fluids/chemicals
associated with the different subassemblies.

We're in the middle of a reorg and I noticed that we have someone on my
floor who is a Sr. Environmental Analyst who's area is Hazmat!  There are
some fine points here....I'll see what she has to say.

Steve Shipley