Re: Battery storage

To: shop-talk list <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery storage
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:15:42 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Well, so far I've received two direct responses.  First, my rant of
the day.  Come on guys.  Let's respond to the list.  Don't be
shy.  It's supposed to be a place where we all exchange
ideas.  Someone else might benefit.  Or they might tell you your idea
stinks.  But that's the way the whole "exchange of ideas" thing goes.

Now, for idea number one.  Keep them in zip lock bags, one size in
each bag.  For this one, let me tell you a story.  My employer
collects batteries for recycling.  At some point, there was allegedly
a fire caused by batteries tossed in a recycle container.  The idea
is that they still have some juice in them and that randomly
positioned batteries can connect to each other and form short
circuits.  I don't know how great the risk of this is, but they
actually had a guy with a hot glue gun squirt glue on the terminals
of each dead battery.  So likely or not, they took it seriously.  The
other problem I have with this is that there is no way to insure that
oldest batteries are used first.

Idea number two.  Commandeer a shelf in the refrigerator because they
last longer at lower temperatures.  I can hear my family laughing at
this one.  I think my wife would be willing to go along with this as
long as I would be willing to give up a drawer or two in my tool
chest for kitchen stuff.  Besides, I believe that most of the
batteries are used in flashlights for my son to read in bed after
"lights out".  When he finally falls asleep with the flashlight on, I
don't think it really matters if the flashlight squeezes out its last
flicker at 3:30am or 3:45.