RE: Wind buffer thingie

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wind buffer thingie
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:02:17 -0800
> eric@megageek.com wrote:
> > Ok, I'm leaving next month for a cross country trip (From NJ to AZ) for
> > the Army....

Trevor replied :

>    You might want to think about how it will affect your gas mileage.
>
>    I read a test a while ago where those little bug deflectors that go
> above the leading edge of the bonnet cost a test vehicle 2 mpg.
>
>    From NJ to AZ, pushing a big wedge through the wind, might make a
> significant addition to your gas bill.

OTOH I've read that the wind deflectors one sometimes sees on big trucks
make a significant improvement in fuel mileage.  If you can save 10% (say
10mpg to 11mpg), you could save maybe $100 over 5000 miles (50 gallons @
$2/gal).  But I doubt the savings would be significant by the time you pay
for the deflector.

Randall