Re: Tire rotation

To: Allen Hefner <ajhsys@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tire rotation
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Allen Hefner wrote:
> I remember in the old days, when radial tires first came out, that you
> should always keep the same tires on each side of the car when rotating
> them.  Left side front to rear and rear to front...right side F to R and R
> to F.  You didn't do the old RF to LR, LF to RR, RR to RF and LR to LF,
> which was the prefered method for bias ply tires.
>
> The owners manuals for the Lincoln and Mercury's I now sell explain tire
> rotation the old way.  Should modern radials be swapped side to side during
> rotation?  I am not talking about directional performance tires, just plain
> old all weather tires.  Any web references would be appreciated.

I don't have any references for you, but the owner's manual for my '06
civic show tire rotation across the car (i.e. fronts crossed to backs,
backs straight up to fronts), as does the manual for our truck, etc.

Unless the tire is marked for a particular rotation, either side of the
car is fine.

Mark