RE: ignition key removal

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ignition key removal
From: "Mullen, Tim (IT Solutions)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:50:15 -0400
David Scheidt wrote:

> I can't figure out how to get the lock out of the
> column.

Every lock tumbler that I've removed has required the key to be
inserted.

As pointed out by some one else, there is usually a clip that needs to
be removed in order to withdraw the cylinder from the mechanism.  But
everyone that I've done has required that the key be inserted and the
lock rotated to a position other than off/locked.

If you have the rest of the key, maybe you can insert that and it will
free the cylinder to turn then with the clip/pin/bolt removed, the
cylinder can be withdrawn.

As also indicated, some have a special bolt that is used to install the
cover or cylinder.  The bolt is usually designed with a "double head" -
when tightened to spec the extra head shears off and the bolt can't be
removed.  In that case, you have to grind a slot in the head so that you
can unscrew it, and/or grind off the head and later use vise grips to
remove the remainder of the bolt.  Then you can install a new bolt(s) -
the special ones from the dealer, or generic ones without the anti-theft
feature.

Of course, your system may be completely different...

Tim Mullen