Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 14:47:57 -0500
At 11:54 AM 1/2/2007 -0700, Paul wrote:

>on a related note, I recall a mention in the prior thread re: piping
>adding to volume of stored air in tank...
>
>I did a diddy with EXCELL...think i got it right..came up with
>

>Pipe ID                Vol / 100 ft    ft / gal
>[inch]         [cu ft] [gals]
>
>0.50           0.14    0.02    5486
>0.75           0.31    0.04    2438
>1.00           0.55    0.07    1372
>1.25           0.85    0.11    878
>1.50           1.23    0.16    610
>

>If i did this correctly (somebody please verify for us), then 200 ft of
>3/4 in pipe adds 0.08 gallons of air storage;
>
>or, you'd need over 5000 ft of pipe to add one gal of air storage.  at $2/
>ft, roughly, that's $10,000 of pipe for a gallon of air....

Not too sure how you set got your figures, but I think they are a little off.
I just went out and measured a Gal. can of lacquer thinner. The can measures:

         Inches Ft
Hight -  9.5            .79666
Width -  7              .58333
Depth -  4              .33333

Volume of a rectangle

V = L * W * D

V = .7966 * .5833 * .333 = .158 Cu Ft.

----

Given a Pipe of 1" Dia. or .0833 Ft.

Area = Pi * R^2

A = 3.14 * (.0833/2)^2
A = 3.14 * .04165^2
A = 3.14 * .0017347
A = .005447 Sq Ft

The cross sectional area of a 1" pipe is about .005447 Sq ft.

So if a gal is .158 Cu Ft

-----

Now setting up a ratio

.158 Cu ft          1 Gal